I love skinnyms.com. It’s not really about being ‘skinny’, it’s about being fit and healthy. They can always be counted on for great recipes, and my favorite of all, recipes that turn un-healthy foods into healthy ones! Case in point: healthy chicken nuggets! I mean, how great is that?! This recipe is pretty simple and straightforward and if you substitute gluten free bread crumbs you have a junk-free, gluten-free, healthy alternative to a nasty food that all kids love, for some reason! I can’t live without GF bread crumbs in my pantry…4C makes gluten free bread crumbs that can sometimes be found at Walmart, or you can get Schar GF bread crumbs from us here.
- 3 chicken breasts fillets, skinless, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs, (whole wheat can be found at any whole foods type supermarket and most organic sections of your local grocery)
- 1 large egg white, lightly whipped
- 1 tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil or Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl add egg white and chicken cubes, toss to coat. Add seasonings to chicken along with Panko bread crumbs, coat well. It may be necessary to press crumbs onto chicken pieces. Place chicken coated pieces on a non-stick cookies sheet, drizzle with oil or use an oil sprayer if available. Cook 30 minutes until chicken is cooked through.